Bridge Team Member
The Bridge Team is made up of Portuguese-speaking volunteers who are available to provide community members with crucial translation and mediation support as they navigate Portuguese systems. Trying to understand how things work in Lisbon can be very lonely and leave our community members feeling disconnected from the services they need.
Sometimes all you need is a friend who can stand with you and bridge that gap – working out a route to re-connect you so that the next time the gap doesn’t feel so wide. The Bridge Team provides that support, stepping temporarily alongside beneficiaries when they feel lost and working with them to navigate the next steps forward.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Meet with beneficiaries to better understand their context, experience and request
- Assist beneficiaries by making appointments via phone or email
- Accompany beneficiaries to appointments (SNS, Segurança social, Finanças, LP partner, etc)
- Help translate any important documentation relevant to the beneficiary
- Assist beneficiaries in navigating the different requests they may have, communicating with necessary actors, providing guidance on future steps
- Gather information about existing process, ensure all learning is recorded and assist the Bridge Team in the process of developing materials to be shared more widely in the organisatio
- Fluent in Portuguese and English (other language skills are valued)
- Detail-oriented and efficient
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work demands
- Strong interpersonal communication including the ability to motivate others
- Strong written communication skills
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team with enthusiasm, initiative and creativity
- Willingness to move around Lisbon and to use your car or public transportation
- Willingness to work with your own personal computer and cellphone
- Problem solving skills are highly valued
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Work experience
- Free tea and coffee (like all day long)!
- Meeting people from all over the world and getting know their stories
Time Commitment: 3 hours (Flexible)
Volunteer reports to: Bridge Team Manager
Let’s impact lives together!