Brincar com Palavras Coordinator
Brincar com Palavra is a play group for children aged 6-12 with the educational purpose of teaching Portuguese in a fun way! As the Brincar com Palavras Coordinator, you will be responsible to plan class content as well as manage and support a team of volunteers to carry out each activity. Students are split into two age appropriate groups, and each class has two teachers. Each class can have a maximum of 10 children. The main goal of the activity is to teach new Portuguese vocabulary in a fun and stimulating way. Children play games and enjoy songs and dancing while learning new Portuguese words. Classes are 90 minutes long and happen after school during the week. Each course set lasts 3 months, and students can register or re-enter every start of a new quarter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Train and provide ongoing support to volunteers
- Research and implement appropriate curriculum
- Participate in strategic planning with the Childrens’ Education department
- Make sure that all families know about the opportunity to register for BcP
- Assigning students to the appropriate class groups
- Follow-up and write reports on child’s progress
- Inspire and motivate volunteers to do tasks with excellence
- Maintain frequent and open communication with the Education Program Manager, the volunteer team and the parents of the students.
- Must be a native Portuguese speaker
- Must be able to work independently and in teams
- Must have the ability to work with children
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effective listening
- Cultural awareness and ability to interact with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Work experience
- Develop leadership skills in a dynamic and fun setting.
- Free tea and coffee (like all day long)!
- Meeting people from all over the world and getting know their stories
Time Commitment: 4 hours a week minimum
Duration: 6 months commitment
Volunteer reports to: Education Program Manager
We can’t do it without you! Thank you for being a part of our team.