Intensive Portuguese Teacher
We are currently seeking a Portuguese teacher to lead a 16 week Intensive Portuguese Course aimed at adult refugees and migrants to bring them up to a level of (A1) and advanced (A2). Students will be given the opportunity to take the exam to gain their A2 certificate at the end of the course. Comprising 9 hours a week for up to 15 students, primarily in the classroom, but also small trips to interact with the local community (e.g., visiting a mercado). We are seeking a formally qualified teacher. Students receive learning materials, undergo regular evaluations to track progress and receive accredited certificates.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implement and deliver the curriculum provided by the Lisbon Project.
- Mark, grade and give written/verbal feedback whenever appropriate.
- Inspire and motivate students to learn and practice the language.
- Ensure that students’ varying needs and interests are met.
- Maintain frequent and open communication with the Education team of the Lisbon Project.
- Provide a creative and dynamic class, using a range of media and resources (video, music games).
- Fluency in Portuguese
- Teaching experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effective listening.
- Leadership skills – ability to coordinate and teach a large group.
- Cultural awareness and ability to interact with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds.
- Must be available 3 evenings a week for 3 hours at the Lisbon Project
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Making a considerable difference to the lives of migrants and refugees
- Work experience
- Free tea and coffee (like all day long)!
- Meeting people from all over the world and hearing their stories
Time Commitment: 9 hours a week minimum
Salary: 14 € per hour
Start date: as soon as possible
Employee reports to: Education Program Manager
How to apply: Send CV and cover letter explaining your skills and experiences to email@example.com