Portuguese Curriculum Coordinator
The Lisbon Project is a non-profit organization that exists to protect and integrate the lives of migrants and refugees in the city of Lisbon. We are currently seeking a volunteer to assist in the Education Program as the program grows. Your primary responsibilities will be overseeing and managing the curriculum of the language classes run within the Program. The goal will be to support all tasks necessary to help deliver and manage successful and motivating Portuguese and English language courses and material.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee curriculums of Portuguese language classes and tutoring offered within the program; develop, implement and evaluate curriculums to maximize participation, outcomes and beneficiary satisfaction.
- Create a supplementary collection of resources and materials from different mediums for teachers or tutors to use with students and for students enrolled or waiting to enroll in classes to have access to.
- Source necessary resources, such as textbooks at the beginning of new courses.
- Carry out small placement tests with beneficiaries to assess language level.
- Participate in budgeting processes for necessary resources.
- Conceptualise and create a framework for evaluation over the course duration. Create or source any necessary materials required and create frequent evaluations for students to track progress.
- Grade evaluations and pass on feedback to teachers and students.
- Analyse feedback on courses together with program coordinator to identify areas for improvement.
- Gather program outcomes data and measure results; evaluate and report on program effectiveness in meeting objectives and make recommendations for future program improvements.
- Develop tailor-made and innovative strategies for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding a portfolio of relevant partners in collaboration with development team.
- Represent the Lisbon Project and lead presentations about the organization in educational settings such as local schools.
- Fluent in English and Portuguese, other language skills are valued.
- Detail-oriented and efficient.
- Experience in teaching.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize work demands.
- Strong interpersonal communication including the ability to motivate others.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team with enthusiasm, initiative and creativity.
- Cultural awareness and ability to interact with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds.
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Work experience
- Free tea and coffee (like all day long)!
- Meeting people from all over the world and getting know their stories
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours a week (heavier commitment in the beginning when creating a framework and when new classes are starting and enrolling)
Volunteer reports to : Education Program Manager
We can’t do it without you! Thank you for being a part of our team.