Portuguese Teacher for the Portuguese Speaking Club
The Lisbon Project is a non-profit organization that exists to protect and integrate the lives of migrants and refugees in the city of Lisbon. We are currently seeking volunteers to assist in teaching them Portuguese. The goal of the Speaking Club is to teach Portuguese in a less formal way than regular classes, focusing on ways to make students practice their speaking skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Implement and deliver the curriculum provided by the Lisbon Project
- Mark, grade and give written/verbal feedback whenever appropriate
- Inspire and motivate students to learn and practice the language
- Ensure that students’ varying needs and interests are met
- Maintain frequent and open communication with the Education team of the Lisbon Project
- Assist the teacher to provide a creative and dynamic class, using a range of media and resources (video, music, games).
- Participate in training sessions provided by the Lisbon Project.
- Fluency in Portuguese
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including effective listening
- Leadership skills – ability to coordinate and teach a large group
- Cultural awareness and ability to interact with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Making a considerable difference to the lives of migrants and refugees.
- Work experience in a rewarding environment
- Free tea and coffee (like all day long)!
- Meeting people from all over the world and getting know their stories
Time Commitment: 2-3 hours a week minimum (minimum commitment of 6 months)
Volunteer reports to: Education Program Manager
We can’t do it without you! Thank you for being a part of our team.