The New Law on Portuguese Citizenship for Children

The New Law on Portuguese Citizenship for Children

ENGLISH

In November 2020 there was a legislative change that made it possible for children born on Portuguese soil, children of foreigners, to be entitled to citizenship by birth given that their parents have resided in Portugal for 1 year. The previous law had a minimum residence time of two years, but with the legislative change, this acquisition of citizenship became even more accessible.

Watch our Legal Aid Coordinator, Dr. Lenita Bandeira, as she explains the requirements and the application process of the new Citizenship Law that applies to children born to residents in Portugal.

FRANÇAIS

En novembre 2020, une modification législative a permis aux enfants nés sur le sol portugais, enfants d’étrangers, d’avoir droit à la citoyenneté par naissance lorsque leurs parents ont résidé au Portugal pendant 1 an. L’ancienne loi prévoyait un temps de résidence minimum de deux ans, mais avec le changement législatif, cette acquisition de la citoyenneté est devenue encore plus accessible.

8 thoughts on “The New Law on Portuguese Citizenship for Children”

1. Anonymous says:

How Portugal count 1 year for new born baby citizenship?
    Is one year count after getting first resident card or after legal and safe entry?

2. The legal aid team says:

According to the new Portuguese legislation, is not relevant if the parents have legal immigration status. Answering your question, it means that the counting doesn’t start from when they get the residence card, as a residence authorization is not mandatory anymore to start the process. What they do need to prove is that one of the parents is living in PT for at least one year before the childbirth.
    Cordially,
    The legal aid team

3. Anonymous says:

Hello good afternoon sir / madam
    My baby has português citizenship she is 5 years old and I have temporary residency card around 4 years it’s possible I can apply by português citizenship … I know I have to wait antil 5 years but my baby has nationality so can I apply my citizenship yes or not thanks

4. Anonymous says:

1 aug, 2021 AT 4:42 PM
    How Portugal count 1 year for new born baby citizenship?

5. Anonymous says:

1 aug, 2021 AT 4:42 PM
    Hello I want to ask How Portugal count 1 year for new born baby citizenship?

6. Anonymous says:

Hi sir my baby born in august 3rd 2021,and we don’t have residence card mother and father we just 6months in Portugal so baby what he gets legally.can I help us

7. Anonymous says:

greetings
    dear my baby have portugese citizenship by birth .
    i am indian working here from 2 years on temprary resident permit.
    plssss let me know that wen and how i can apply for my portugese citizenship

8. Anonymous says:

Hi, my husband got legal entry in Portugal in June 2018 and my daughter was born in December 2019 in Lisbon. We applied to change her nationality from Indian to Portuguese in conservatatório but still don’t know what is the processing time and how long will it take? When we can apply cartão de cidadão? What are we supposed to expect a letter from the registry office or phone?
    If the letter what kind of letter or what kind of call. Plz guide