Youth Explore Volunteer
Youth Explore is a biweekly activity aimed at migrant and refugee teenagers. You will work with a team responsible for a variety of program related activities, such as planning regular social gatherings and meetings with the teenagers. The meetings and social gatherings are centred around a variety of topics such as leadership, cultural appreciation, identity, and community building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee service programming: develop, coordinate, manage, implement and evaluate systems within the program.
- Update supervisor with challenges and ideas.
- Ensure safety of children at all times.
- Be punctual and communicate if a problem arises.
- Address inappropriate and disciplinary issues promptly.
- Ensure that children’s varying needs and interests are met.
- Assist with program planning, outings, workshops, and coordination of the youth.
- Serve as a support and mentor for the youth in the program.
- Attend and plan regular youth explore sessions (time and days to be determined)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, including effective listening.
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team with enthusiasm, initiative and creativity.
- Cultural awareness and ability to interact with people from different cultures, genders, religions, and backgrounds.
- Dedication and passion for working with teenagers.
- Patience and awareness when dealing with topics such as identity, trauma, and migration.
- Fun, up-beat, and positive attitude.
- Must be available on weekends.
- Police Clearance Certificate required upon acceptance of application.
- Working in a team that aims to create impact
- Work experience
- Develop leadership skills in a dynamic and fun setting.
- Know that you are contributing to the positive, healthy development of children and youth.
- Meeting people from all over the world and getting to know their stories.
Time Commitment: 5 hours a week minimum (mostly Saturdays)
Volunteer Reports to: Youth Explore Coordinator
We can’t do it without you! Thank you for being a part of our team.